The Rose of Mozambique
Coloured gemstone specialist Gemfields recently introduced the Rose of Mozambique – a rare, high-quality ruby sold earlier at its auction in Singapore.
The rough 12.24-carat gem was cut and polished into the 7.67-carat Rose of Mozambique by Thai gem expert Sant.
Santpal Sinchawla, Sant’s managing director, commented, “Rubies, unlike diamonds, are not about the carat – they’re valued for the intensity of the colour and how the stone will present itself once it’s cut – and it was clear that the Rose had an exceptionally rich colour and fantastic clarity.”
To be truly precious, a ruby’s deep red colour must blend hue, saturation and tone perfectly. Post-auction, Sant’s team of eight specialists worked on the stone to bring out its inner fire. The delicate slicing, pre-forming, shaping and polishing of a ruby requires a deep understanding of the stone to ensure its true beauty and the fire within are on display.
Gemfields first sent gemstones to Singapore auctions in 2014 and since then, Mozambique has taken over from Myanmar as the major source of rubies found in Thailand markets.
“Before Mozambique, very few fine-quality, larger rubies had been discovered,” explained Adrian Banks, Gemfields product and sales director. “Our secondary deposit produces high-quality rubies – among the best in the world. These gems have travelled along a river bed over millions of years to this site and so only the best quality ones have survived the motion of water. Since 2014, Gemfields has auctioned some unusually large sizes and exceptional rubies such as Dragon Eye and Rhino rubies – and now the Rose of Mozambique.”
Gemfields' auction of rough rubies in Singapore, held from December 10 to 14, generated US$55.3 million in revenues. Of the 90 lots offered, 88 were sold, with an average price of US$84.32 per carat.
“Our latest Singapore auction has yielded yet another compelling outcome, evidencing the ongoing robust demand for Mozambique rubies mined and marketed by Gemields and Montepuez Ruby Mining Lda,” commented Banks.
The rough rubies were extracted from the licence held and operated by Montepuez Ruby Mining Limitada, which is 75 percent owned by Gemfields. The other 25 percent is held by local partner Mwiriti Limitada.